Saturday 30 May 2009

Getting Stoned

No. 8: Stand inside Stonehenge
No. 9: Spend the weekend in the country




...I was dragged to Stonehenge that first time kicking and screaming. I saw no point in visiting, didn't want to spend the hour-and-a-half it took to get there by train, and was naturally affronted when I arrived at the site's hometown of Salisbury to discover I wouldn't even be able to rub the rocks like they were a great big belly of Buddha. Not only are you forbidden from touching the stones, but you can't even stand next to them! A tiny gate circles the formation, and tourists are made to snap photos and point from a safe distance.


To me, the site was nothing more than an old pile of rocks, put there for God knows why, taunting me with a giant 'Please Don't Touch' sign.
Obviously, two years on, I had to right this injustice...











2 comments:

  1. My favorite part (obviously): "Becky, it being her first time in Britain, had never been to Stonehenge. This is a crying shame, as she is the most Pagan-y, Druid-y, free lovin' hippy I have ever met."

    Thanks for the shout out! Btw, your other column in there was good too and I miss you and London so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you becky, you make for good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete