Thursday 18 June 2009

Travelling Yentl Style

No. 37: Have a religious reformation

Shalom! I've just returned from my first trip to Israel, a press tour visiting Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and had a fantastic time. I'm feeling very holy...


Here I am in my room. The holiness of my surroundings has obviously already made me more light.

These timers were in each of the rooms, so observers of Shabbat could arrange for their light to come on automatically.


Likewise, each entryway in the whole of Israel was fitted with a mezuzzah. This included hotel rooms, bathrooms, garages, outdoor markets...



Gay pride parade in Tel Aviv!






Carmel Market is a very busy place with delicious falaffel.This is Jaffa, an ancient port city. It's where Jonah was swallowed by the big fish. How biblical am I?! We drove to the top of the Mount of Olives and had a lovely view of the whole of Jerusalem. Jerusalem was my favorite part of the trip, you could really feel the spirituality and history of the place. It was very peaceful there, and very interesting to watch how the Christian, Jewish and Muslim communities interacted and lived in this space that they all hold so dear.





















Here I am at the Western Wall. I was able to visit it twice, once at night and once during the day, and it was a very moving experience. I left my favorite Hebrew prayer in the wall and really enjoyed standing at the ancient spot.






This is just outside the Holy Sepulchre, which is where Jesus is believed to have been buried and resurrected. We followed the path of his crucifixion, there are spots that are clearly marked as where various parts of the story took place. We also visited the space believed to have been where the last supper took place, and the spot Mother Mary is believed to have died. It was very interesting to learn about.




A video looking down at Jerusalem.



No comments:

Post a Comment