Saturday 4 July 2009

Obama and the Mouse

You've just become the leader of the free world, what are you going to do next?

President Obama has finally been added to the Hall of Presidents attraction at Walt Disney World. It's an animatronic show that highlights every US president throughout history, using robotic figurines to tell the American story. Obama has made his debut, giving the closing speech for the educational attraction, and I can now rest easy that after eight years of Bush-in-wax, I can re-enter the site.

Here's a video of the process:


And here's the finished product:


Also, in honor of the 4th, one of my favorite poems, by Emma Lazarus, a Jewish immigrant who wrote the iconic prose "The New Colossus":

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she with silent lips.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

5 comments:

  1. As I began to read the author of this poem, I thought...Hey, I know this poem. It made me smile. I taught this poem to my fifth graders while reading "Rifka," a book about immigration, this year. Thanks for reminding me about this lovely poem. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is awesome. That was so cool to see the behind-the-scenes of how they set up that animatronics stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glauren5- I also love this poem. I think the imagery is great, I was excited to re-find it too!

    Dionne- I was really impressed with getting to see the before and after process as well. If you're interested in more Disney 'behind the secenes', check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAWu4YQMfT8

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks bisovi, i appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete