Thursday 9 July 2009

Racing at Ascot, Scoring at Polo

#16: Become Eliza Doolittle
#17: Learn to play polo
...I’m peering up from underneath the brim of my hat, waiting to catch a glimpse of the Duke of Edinburgh. I might be the only attendee at Ascot who would lay claim to that want, the more predictable draw being Her Majesty the Queen, but as I’ve already had the privilege of attending an event with Elizabeth in the past I’m keen for a new acquaintance. It’s like I’m collecting a royal deck of cards, and Prince Philip will make a nice pair.
As Her Majesty and His Royal Highness ride by in their horse and carriage, I can almost hear the strains of a Frederick Loewe overture. I wave my hand, wishing I had a dainty handkerchief to throw in the air, while watching the procession. As they drive past, I’m convinced I see Philip wink in my direction...

***
...Will asks me if I’ve ever actually ridden before, and my cover is blown already.
“That’s all right. This pony here is very tame, she’s great for learners.”
I’m looking the horse in the eye, trying to psychically convey to her a pact that I will not harm her so long as she doesn’t throw me in the air and tromp on me. I feel mildly confident that we’re in accord, and I climb aboard.
“Erica, take the ball to the goal!”
William is encouraging me forward, setting up easy shots that I have the audacity to miss on each try. I suspect my horse is working against me, we can’t seem to agree on a direction to trot in, and coach advises I give her a good kick.
I am suddenly galloping much faster than intended...

To read the full column, follow this link and turn to page 18: http://www.totallyjewish.com/the_jewish_news/view/c-12083/jewish-news-jn-593-090709/?no_login=1 Sorry it's sideways!

1 comment:

  1. That hat is remarkably similar to the one you're wearing in this photo, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ericamorris.jpg.
    I miss you. Keep conquering the world.

    ReplyDelete