Wednesday 22 June 2011

Spring Break '11


Okay, so I wasn't on spring break. But a post about Fort Lauderdale Beach felt like it warranted a spring break reference. Plus, this trip took place over the last weekend before summer, so I say it's applicable.

Recently, I spent a long weekend in SoFla and it was as refreshing as a day at the beach. Cory and I were in town for his ten year high school reunion, and I decided to fly down early to spend some time with the fam. My Mom and her clan drove down from their home an hour and a half away, since we hadn't seen each other in a while. At different points, we had myself and Cory, my mother, stepfather and sister, my Grammy and step-grandparents, my aunt and three cousins. It was a very crowded but very happy holiday in the sun.

We stayed at the Grand Pelican, a pretty hotel that reminded me of the Grand Floridian at Disney World. Of course, its real highlight was the lazy river, which was much enjoyed by both my 10-year-old sister and Cory.


One of the best things about the hotel was that its right on the beach. Most of the hotels in that area are across the street from the water and you have to walk across to get to the sand. We took full advantage of being on the water: we had our meals on the hotel's patio overlooking the beach and kept our room doors open at night to hear the waves.

And now, for no real reason, I'm posting a pic of my mother at the pool. Her face hasn't graced this blog yet and it's possible she'll make me take it down, but for now here she is:

Doesn't she look young?

Our weekend ended with the reunion, and we got together with a bunch of friends from high school beforehand (Yes, Cory and I went to the same high school, though we didn't graduate the same year. Go Paladins!). Here's some pre-party shots of the class of '01. See how I brought it full circle? And no, the blue thing wasn't planned.


Psst, my friend Elan (who's in the pic above and has been mentioned in posts like this) and his wife Melissa became parents today! Mazel tov you guys!!!

1 comment:

  1. I need more weekends like this! Well, at least the beach part.

    ReplyDelete