Thursday 16 July 2009

With Love from Wimbledon

No. 18: Have strawberries and cream at Wimbledon



...“I think I can get us into Wimbledon for Sunday,” Andrew Sherwood tells me the next morning. I’m relieved, as he is our sports editor and able to get into these types of events without waiting in the queue-which-shall-not-be-named. Andrew makes a phone call, is told it’s fine to bring me along, and I am able to relax in the knowledge that I can safely complete my mission and attend the final day of Wimbledon.


I’m feeling pretty casual about the whole thing. The tournament has been going on for two weeks, and I figure it must be winding down by now. I’m confident that fans have got the tennis-watching out of their systems at this point, and the last day of the grand slam will prove a relaxing, unstressed event.


I’m relating this theory to Zeddy over the phone just before I’m set to go when he informs me of my mistake. “Do you mean to tell me you’re attending the men’s finals?”


This sounds vaguely like what Andrew described to me, and I am then filled in on what a significant match I’ll be watching. Apparently, this is a big deal. It’s augmented by the fact that my American friend Roddick will be playing Roger Federer, the Swiss phenomenon who is one win away from breaking Pete Sampras’ record for the most Wimbledon wins of all time.


As we walk with a mass of people from the Southfields Tube station to the All England Club’s overwhelming tennis complex, I do my best to impress Andrew with my new-found respect and understanding of what we’ll be taking part in.


“So, Wimbledon takes place every year?”


Apparently, I am less impressive than I thought, and my colleague asks me to please not walk so close to him...




No comments:

Post a Comment